Cameroonian professional football striker, Samuel Eto’o Fils was born on March 10, 1981 and currently plays for Turkish club Antalyaspor. He is the most decorated African player of all time and currently the richest African footballer.
He is also the record holder in number of appearances by an African player in the Spanish La Liga. His awards and trophies are numerous. A remarkable few include:
- African Cup of Nations (2000 and 2002)
- Olympic Gold Medal: 2000
- Young African Player of the Year: 2000
- African Player of the Year: (2003, 2004, 2005 and 2010)
- 2005 FIFA World Player of the Year: Bronze Award
- African Cup of Nations Top Scorer: 2006 and 2008
- Pichichi Trophy: 2006
- UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match: 2006
- Coppa Italia Top-scorer: 2010–11
- Russian Premier League MVP Award: 2012–13
- African Cup of Nations All-Time Top Scorer
- Globe Soccer Player Career Award: 2016
The most important thing for a forward is speed of thought. Top players read the game. –Samuel Eto’o
In 2010, he became the first player to win two European continental trebles following his back-to-back achievements with FC Barcelona and Inter Milan.
Off the pitch, the father of four is also noted for his humanitarian works such as the construction and equipping of a pediatric centre in his hometown, Douala.