Born on 22 March 1963 in Jos, Nigeria, Tony Onyemaechi Elumelu is an entrepreneur and philanthropist. He has a solid educational background, with a bachelor’s degree from Ambrose Alli University and a master of science degree from the University of Lagos.
Tony Elumelu is also an alumnus of the Advanced Management Programme by Harvard Business School. This educational background of his has given him the position he enjoys today at the forefront of African business. Some of Tony’s achievements include:
- Voted African Business Leader of The Year by Africa Investor magazine in 2006.
- Voted African Banker of the Year by African Banker magazine in 2008.
- Recognised as one of “Africa’s 20 Most Powerful People in 2012” by Forbes magazine.
- Received the Leadership Award in Business and Philanthropy from the Africa-America Institute (AAI) Awards in 2013.
- Named African Business Icon at the 2013 African Business Awards.
- Awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Economic Forum of the Ivorian National Council of Employers, CGECI Academy.
Tony is reputed for his transformation of Standard Trust Bank into a top-five player in Nigeria. He is also at the forefront of the enhancement of the United Bank for Africa UBA before his retirement in 2010.
Presently he is chairman of Heirs Holdings Limited, Transcorp Nigeria Plc and United Bank for Africa (UBA). The founder of the Tony Elumelu Foundation and father of seven is a role model for upcoming African entrepreneurs today.
“Only entrepreneurship can create opportunity where none seemingly exists.” ~ Tony Elumelu